Welcome to Fairfax County! Located in the Commonwealth of Virginia, Fairfax County has, since its establishment, transformed itself from sprawling farmlands to one of the fastest growing counties in the commonwealth. Fairfax County is the home of celebrated US president George Washington, and is now the headquarters of some of the pillars of our government. Put that aside and you’ll discover Fairfax County to be rich in history, arts, and culture.
Before you explore the cities and communities within Fairfax County, here are some interesting facts:
- Fairfax County is nestled on the western banks of Potomac River, just south of Washington, DC and Arlington. This location has made Fairfax County communities a popular choice for home buyers looking for a convenient place to live in the Washington DC metro area.
- The independent city of Alexandria is just north of Fairfax County, but the county has a great relationship with this thriving community. Some of the communities within Fairfax County are also called Alexandria, but it should be noted that these towns (such as Huntington and Belle Haven) are actually separate from the city.
- Fairfax is the county seat. What’s unique, however, is that the city isn’t under the county’s jurisdiction. In fact, it’s another independent city, much like Alexandria. Locally, the city is called Central Fairfax or Downtown Fairfax.
- Fairfax County is Virginia’s most populous jurisdiction. Population estimates from 2015 recorded that there are approximately 1,142,230 living in Fairfax County. That’s already about 13.6 percent of the commonwealth’s population!
- Several intelligence offices are located in Fairfax County, including the Central Intelligence Agency (in Langley) and National Counterterrorism Center (in McLean).
Patterson Real Estate Group and Fairfax County real estate
Patterson Real Estate Group is one of the leading specialists in Fairfax County real estate. We focus on the following communities located south of Old Town Alexandria:
Belle Haven – Considered as one of the most prestigious addresses in the area, Belle Haven is a prime destination for luxury homes and riverside mansions.
Mount Vernon – The former home of George Washington, this historic town’s real estate market offers a wide variety of homes, from contemporary residences to historic properties, inland or by the Potomac River.
Wellington – Wellington in Fort Hunt is one of the best places in the area if you’re looking to explore a diverse selection of real estate options. Ranch-style homes and Colonial residences are some of the prominent homes here.
George Wellington Parkway – This 25-mile long stretch of road traverses through several of the county’s most coveted neighborhoods. Waterfront homes, historic properties, condos, and upscale single-family homes are found here.
Make Fairfax County your home with the Patterson Real Estate Group
We’re excited to show you around Fairfax County so you can find the home that fits your needs and lifestyle. For more information about the communities in Fairfax County, check out our community guides. You can also get in touch with us at 1.703.310.6201 or phyllis(at)pattersonrealestategroup(dotted)com.